Monday, July 12, 2010

CB550 Ups and Downs

I was pretty excited when the Honda started up on July 2nd. In the days afterwards, it didn't run as well. In fact it barely ran at all. I thought about why it would run decently and then quickly turn sour. Looking at info on the internet, I decided it's probably intake leaks from the 34 year-old carb boots.

There are some methods for restoring the boots, but the boots seem to be available from Honda so why not just order a set and avoid the playing around?

Meanwhile, I had three sets of stock CB550F needles and emulsion tubes, purchased on E-bay. I installed them on carbs 1-3. Then I ordered a set from Honda for carb #4. Not sure they can still be found, we'll give it a try though.

It's a good thing I took the carbs apart. The needle clips were on different settings - one carb had the clip set at #2 from the highest notch, the other three had the clips set at #2 from the lowest notch (stock).

The main jets on carbs 1 and 4 were 98's (stock). The mains on carbs 2-3 were 110's - probably too rich for a stock motor. I ordered a set of 100's off E-bay to replace them. That's slightly richer than stock, the inside cylinders tend to get hotter though and it might be good insurance to go that tiny bit richer.

A new MAC muffler for the stock CB550F four into one arrived in the mail today. Cost about $185, including the baffle. I think it looks great! Probably better than the stocker, which looks like a cigar.

CB550F Mac muffler
CB550 Supersport

The muffler was really easy to install - three bolts. The clamp at the headpipe junction, the bolt at the muffler and the connecting strap that goes to the passenger footpegs. That's it.

The more I look at the Honda the more I like it. There have been a lot of problems, in the end I think it will be worth it. I'm hoping to get the new carb boots and a few other pieces within a couple of weeks so I can actually ride this baby on the open road!

No comments: