Sunday, December 23, 2007

New sidecover decal for the CB550F

The 550F was missing the right sidecover decal when I bought it. Fortunately there are several companies that make replacements for old motorcycles.

Complete sets for this model sell for around $60 bucks. I inquired with reproduction decals and asked them if they would sell just one sidecover decal. These guys are great! They quoted me $10 for the decal including shipping from Canada. I sent my payment and the decal arrived in about a week. Thanks!

Installation was almost too easy. The instructions were very thorough but this was a small decal, which is very easy to apply. I cleaned the sidecover and measured the location for the decal. Measuring from the top of the sidecover, the "F" in Four was 2 inches down. Using a piece of masking tape as a guide, I placed the decal on the sidecover with the "F" centered in the middle. Then I carefully removed the front portion of the wrapping which holds the characters in place. Voila! It took all of five minutes, going very slowly to make sure the decal was in the proper position and free of bubbles. Checkout the pictures below.









The decal is blue with gold trim. Most of these photos give the lettering a black appearance with gold trim.

Ideally, one would clear coat the sidecover after applying the decal. In this case I'm going to skip it. If I need another decal I can get one from reproduction decals at a fair price.
Okay, that was a quick, easy and satisfying job. Next I need to work on the brakes!

2 comments:

Mollie said...

I have been looking for a company that makes new side covers like yours but cannot find any. Do you know any companies that make them? Thanks

motorbike mike said...

Hi Mollie,

Sorry I don't know where to get replacements. E-bay might be the best place look.