Monday, November 26, 2007

Picked up the Honda today


I called Young Brothers (Hawaii's interisland freight company) and confirmed that my container arrived. Caught a ride from my brother and waited in line to open the container. It was nice to see the bike sitting upright when the door opened. We had tied it pretty well but you never know for sure until you see the bike.

Started the Honda up, rode it to the gas station and then to Cycle Tech, a motorcycle repair shop in Honolulu. The owner, Al, is a guy I've been taking motorcycles to since 1982 when I owned an RD350. He gave me a passing safety inspection, a necessary procedure to get the bike titled and registered in my name.

Then I rode the Honda back to my house. It ran a little rough but made it okay. I noticed brake fluid on the reservoir, somehow it was leaking out and onto the beautiful tank! I wiped the fluid off with my hand as I rode.

When I got home I washed the fluid off with soap and water. Just a few drops of fluid were on the tank and it looks like they softened up the paint. It's barely noticeable, I hope it doesn't get any worse.
Thinking about it some more, the reservoir maybe leaking because of the tie downs we used for the container. A rope may have rubbed and pushed on the reservoir. Oh well, the front brake is not very good anyways, might as well change the master cylinder to stop the leak and get a usable front brake.

Another thing I noticed is the #4 spark plug was arcing (sparks) to the head of the motor. When it cooled off I pulled the plug cap off and checked to see that it was connecting with the plug wire. Reinstalled it and no more arcing.
The Honda's mileage was 30,385 when I bought it.

No comments: